Monday, October 09, 2006

We Love Sushi So Much !

Me, my son and my hubby likes to eat sushi so much ! We have bring him to Japanese restaurant since he was 1 year old. So he quite familiar with the taste of Japanese food and he likes to eat seaweed as well. I know some kids don't like the fishy smell of it. Last time we have sushi meal almost twice a month. We love Genki Sushi a lot too ! But it's quite expensive if eat in this kind of restaurant. Last Saturday we decided to make some sushi for ourselves. My hubby have bought some seaweed/wakame, sushi vinegar and soya sauce from Japan. So I just need to buy Japanese Rice, bamboo mat.

The Japanese rice is very different from our local rice in terms of shape, colour and size. The size of Japanes rice is smaller and more in a round shape, compare with the rice we eat daily. And it looks more transparent also. I have planned to make a
Futomaki /Norimaki, type of thick rolled sushi and uses different type of ingredients for filling; Nigiri Sushi, sushi with vinegar rice top with raw fish or vegetables. There are the ingredients I used :

Asparagus
Short Bean
Carrot
Cucumber
Eggs
(Nigiri)
Prawns (Nigiri)
Tuna Fish wit Mayonese (We like it so much !)

This is first time I cook with Japanese rice. So I was not sure how much water needed. (Anyone have good experience welcome to share !).

So I just cooked the rice as usual. But outcome is the rice is abit too wet and soft. I have put too much of water I think. So I realized that cooking Japanese rice no nee
d to put so much water. I let the rice cooker lead opened for a while after cooked and the rice managed to get harder and drier.

Next I waited til the rice cooled first before I added in the Sushi Vinegar. What I like about this vinegar is the smell is sweet and soft, not so strong compare to other types of vinegar. Maybe this is due to its sugar content.

When you make Nigiri sushi, remember to wet your hand with water first because the
rice can be very sticky and difficult to handle.

Here are some of mouth watering sushi that I have made. Hope you like it ! haha ...you can try to make some because it's quite easy to make, economical compare to Genki Sushi and the taste I can tell you is YUMMY ! My son and my hubby love it !

Related Articles : Sushi History Types of Sushi All About Sushi


















No comments: